[Seaside] Linux Seaside server problem

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 16:16:28 UTC 2006

2006/11/20, Seb <sra at e8dev.com>:
> Hi,
> We develop a Seaside application and we're doing some stress tests on it.
>
> Context
> -------
> We run a 3.9.7-10 VM on a Debian Sarge server.
> We start it with -nodisplay and -nosound options.
>
> Our stress test is simple: only display a basic Seaside page.
>
> Our Seaside server is a 2 GHz CPU with 1 GB of RAM.
>
> Problem
> -------
> Our image freezes within 2 seconds, with as low as 20 concurrent users
> hitting once per second.

Some ideas:
- Do you use Weak* anywhere? This includes SeasidePlatformSupport
class >> #weakDictionaryOfSize:
- Dou you use OSProcess?
- Can you use gdb and attach to the image and print the callstack?
see:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/533
and:
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2032.html
for redirecting stdout and stderr

> I can't even connect to the image with REPLServer after the freeze.
>
> Then we try to stress the same image on a Windows server with the VM
> coming from the current 3.8 Windows package: it easily supports 150+
> concurrent users hitting once per second...
>
> Questions
> ---------
> Did anyone have a similar experience?

Not after two seconds. But else yes. That's just some of the things
you have to accept when using Squeak.  Why? Because Squeak is a toy
and this is good because we are all still kids.
I can tell you more horror stories if you buy me a beer.

> I heard of a 3.6 VM being more stable for Unix / Linux systems. Is it
> usable with a 3.9 image?

Yepp.

> Is there a debian package for the 3.9-8 VM?

Can't you just download and compile it?

> Should we use a Windows server for Squeak?

If it works fine on Windows and blocks on Linux .....

Philippe