[Seaside] Frustrated with Squeak and Magma

Warren Henning warren.henning at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 04:35:42 UTC 2006

I'm having a hard time getting Magma installed.

I go to http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2657 which suggests
installing Magma via Monticello, which I have no idea how to use and
I've been avoiding trying to have to use. I add the URL it gives as a
repository and view it in the Monticello browser. I see various
packages. When I click particular files it makes Squeak completely
unresponsive while it downloads information on that file, for each
one.

I select the Magma client and server but when I click the "load"
button I get scary errors about it depending on many classes that
start with "Ma" which I don't have. I figure it's other stuff also
hosted on that repository so I tell it to proceed and load regardless.
I start doing this with several other packages in order until I get
actual message not understood errors.

I want to scream because I have no idea whether I'm doing things right
or not and I can't figure out how to help myself.

Could someone post an image with Seaside and Magma up and working
properly? (I got Seaside to work just fine - it just worked.)

Thanks.

Warren