[Seaside] Frustrated with Squeak and Magma

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Sep 6 11:21:09 UTC 2006

"Warren Henning" <warren.henning at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having a hard time getting Magma installed.
>
> I go to http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2657 which suggests
> installing Magma via Monticello, which I have no idea how to use and
> I've been avoiding trying to have to use.

Developing with Squeak these days and refusing to learn Monticello is
pretty hard.

> I add the URL it gives as a
> repository and view it in the Monticello browser. I see various
> packages. When I click particular files it makes Squeak completely
> unresponsive while it downloads information on that file, for each
> one.

Yes, it actually downloads the complete revision since they are zip
files and needs to b decompressed in order to be analyzed and shown info
about.

> I select the Magma client and server but when I click the "load"
> button I get scary errors about it depending on many classes that

Is there any reason why you did not read the entire Swiki page above? :)
Even though it doesn't spit it out in BOLD it actually does tell you
which packages to install. If you want the easiest to get started with
option I would suggest you install the latest of: MagmaServerLoader

Since it contains both client and server side code you can then run
Magma "locally" and do not have to set up another Squeak process acting
as server.

> I want to scream because I have no idea whether I'm doing things right
> or not and I can't figure out how to help myself.

Reading more than the first paragraph of the mentioned swiki page is a
good start. :) :)

regards, Göran