[Seaside] Why seaside really sucks! COMMMMMMMENTS are MISSING

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Thu Apr 12 20:23:39 UTC 2007

> > Pay it forward.
>
> Ok, I obviously wasn't clear here.  I'm not complaining about
> commenting my code.  I have actually read code where the
> comment about "what the following method does" was longer
> then the actual code to do the work.

An usual metric in Smalltalk used to be 1:5 for code comment lines.

> If I see a comment I expect it has something I need to know
> and therefor read it.  This is extra work, so it needs to
> pay.  If I read someone's code and the first 10 comments are
> just duplication of what the code is clearly doing then I am
> less likely to read the rest, some of which are bound to have
> something I *do* need to know.  This is the cost I was talking about.

In that way you can't avoid to propose that newbies pay the price. I not
convinced about being clever to force that criteria to be valid for
everbody. You are thinking in the economy of a somehow experienced developer
(presumably your case) but what about the economy of newbies? They should be
forced to pay the price? Are you aware that that price are working as a
barrier to enter to the Smalltalk market?
I think more options (to access information) shuld be given for newbies
because of it's inexperience. Options that the experienced ones can prune
easily and in a rasonably cheap way using it's own discern.

Regards,

Sebastian