[Seaside] Garbage Collection/Handling

John Thornborrow john at pinesoft.co.uk
Fri Apr 13 11:10:56 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I've recently noticed that despite having tight controls over the number
of instantiations requested for my objects within my application, there
is still a large number due to the session handling. This is perfectly
understandable, but I was wondering if there is a set process for
garbage collecting?

So far I have been 'do'ing the below items just to clear things down a bit..

"kill seaside processes."
WAKom stop.
"make sure they're dead"
HttpService allInstances do: [:x | x stop].
"clears cached data"
WALRUCache allInstances do: [:x | x initialize].
"clears context data"
WARenderingContext allInstances do: [:x | x clearMode].
"expires sessions"
WASession allInstances do: [:x | x expire].
"default garbage collection - do this several times just to be sure"
Smalltalk garbageCollect

Is there anything else I should consider?

Also any pointers for use of control methods in my application would be
most welcome.. I'm using a registry for my #children methods, and in
callbacks where applicable (populated by lazy loaders) but I still find
areas such as child components which render callbacks have to use new
instantiations, which I'm not keen on. This could be resolved by passing
the registry further down the chain, but seems overkill just to avoid
overpopulating. Perhaps the #children method should return only
classnames and not objects instead?

Many thanks for any advice.
John.
www.pinesoft.co.uk

Pinesoft Computers are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA