[Seaside] Non-redirecting URLs

Patrick Collison patrick at collison.ie
Tue Aug 14 21:55:22 UTC 2007

On 14/08/07, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As far as I understand it, Seaside uses a _n parameter to indicate
> > that a particular callback shouldn't trigger a redirect.
>
> Exactly. I don't know any software project that uses it, except for Pier.

Auctomatic uses it too :).

> > reason for explicitly exposing this in the URL, as opposed to
> > encapsulating the should-trigger-redirect state within
> > WAValueCallback, where the callback itself is stored?
>
> This is certainly an interesting idea. It would probably be a bit
> trickier to determine whether to perform the redirect or not, but
> certainly possible. I don't see an reason not to be able to
> encapsulate this in the WAActionCallback. Maybe Avi can confirm this?
> I guess Avi implemented this feature a long time ago.
>
> Do you have a specific reason you want to get rid of this parameter,
> except for aesthetic ones?

Well, we're working on some extensions to Seaside that allow AJAX to
be used transparently (by figuring out what parts of a page have
changed, and only sending those parts to the browser). This involves
adding more parameters to WAAnchorTag (which are then recognized in
WARender), and I'd really like to clean the whole thing up if
possible.

Patrick