[Seaside] Starting a site

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Aug 24 21:27:10 UTC 2007

Boris Popov wrote:

> I do remember having this discussion as well, but in many situations you
> are deploying behind a web server of some sorts by proxying the
> Seaside/Swazoo combo, so IP configuration takes place there and
> does not belong in the application, at least as far as I'm concerned.
> So I want to bind to all addresses and let other people (or load balancers)
> decide which ones they will route traffic to (this becomes even more
> important in managed environments, which is where we are currently moving to).

Well, you can spend quite an effort to configure Apache, load balancers
etc, and you can't configure a simple host:ip:port combination on Swazoo?

> In a nutshell given the following two choices, which would you prefer
> if you wanted to listen on all interfaces?

> A) Query the host for its interfaces and bind to all of them individually
> B) Bind to 0.0.0.0

Second one, but let me repeat again, besides HTTPServer listening to all
interface you need to change hostname resolution to actually resolve
nothing, that is to direct all requests to one and only one Site. We
have a HTTP 1.1. compliant server here and just look at the standard and
meaning of Host: header to undersand what I mean.

Anyway, I'll look at that problem and how to make it as intrusive to
existent Swazoo as possible soon.

Best regards
Janko

--