[Seaside] Squeak 3.9?

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri Feb 16 08:56:50 UTC 2007

Hi!

> I've run into that a number of times.  Stuck on a Transcript semaphore!
> It's no fun, but easy to get around and still accepts a user interrupt.  I
> need the transcript for debugging, it's almost impossible to debug threads
> without it.  I remember just recently Bert and I were talking about
> modifying the debugger so that it steps into threads (and even opens a new
> debugger on the new thread).  I could really use that!!

I have also hacked Transcript a few times to get around that. But in
Gjallar we instead use Q2Log (three classes for logging, really simple)
together with Q2LogMorph that Magnus wrote. (Q2 is the Gjallar prefix)

It is thread safe but above all does some neat tricks looking at the
context sender in order to show that in the log. Then the Q2LogMorph has
three kinds of filtering:

- By log level. We use the syslog levels.
- By free text. Just type something in and press enter.
- By sender. There is a multiselect list up to the left with all senders
"until now".

And oh, another note on this - the SharedStreams package on SqueakMap can
be of help too.

regards, Göran

PS. If you think that Q2Log sounds interesting, drop me a private note and
I will spend the 10 minutes needed to split it out from the Gjallar code.
It is already independent but has no PI of its own yet and is not yet on
SM.