[Seaside] [offtopic] LDAPLayer in Seaside

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue Feb 27 12:49:47 UTC 2007

Hi!

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to get LDAPLayer working for a Seaside app, otherwise I'll
> have to write in Java! By way of explanation, I tried emailing
> ragnar at linalco.com but that address gets bounced and so I'm hoping that
> someone else on the list has used LDAPLayer and can give me a hand, or,
> knows where best to post a request for help on LDAPLayer.

Mmm, we do use LDAPLayer in Gjallar (www.gjallar.se) - I didn't write the
code (Magnus did) but it works for us. But we have only tried using it
with MS ActiveDirectory.

> Here is what I get in the *Debugger window title*:
> LDAPException: invalid tag - make sure class is in
> identifyIncomingElements
>
> *Program call*:
> I'm trying to connect to a Linux server running openldap. I went into
> the class methods of LDAPTest and set port, password, hostname, bindDN,
> and baseDN.
> I put the following two lines in a Workspace window and ran in debug...
> ld := LDAPTest new.
> ld connect.
>
> *Background:*
> Squeak is running on my Mac OS X 10.4.8 machine, I used a Squeak 3.7
> image downloaded from the Seaside site. I also tried LDAPLayer on Squeak
> on Windows and it failed although I think from memory, the error was
> possibly different. I've also tried a different LDAP server, an OS X
> Open Directory server but that didn't make an difference.
> LDAPLayer was downloaded from Squeak Map - latest version.
>
> *Where is it falling over:*
> I traced the code to this area which is inside Socket>>sendData
>         count := self primSocket: socketHandle
>             sendData: aStringOrByteArray
>             startIndex: bytesSent + 1
>             count: (bytesToSend - bytesSent min: 5000).

Hmmm, you use a 3.7 image? Ok, first of all - try loading FastSocketStream
from SqueakMap and replace the reference to SocketStream to
FastSocketStream instead - that might fix things.

Secondly, you might benefit from some "fixes/tweaks" we have done in
Gjallar, available at:

http://mc.gjallar.se

I can't comment much on them - and perhaps nothing of it related to your
issue.

> I'd be really grateful to be able to do this project (and other upcoming
> LDAP projects) in Seaside/Smalltalk.

Test with FastSocketStream and/or our patched versions - if still in
trouble post again. :)

regards, Göran