[Seaside] So where is the "release" version of 3.7? - while we're on the subject

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Wed Feb 28 15:13:42 UTC 2007

Really interesting......

Gemstone+ seaside could be a killing solution (if pricing support
tiny developers) to play against LAMP and other
approaches. But I guess that the prices will not be sustainable for
simple humans.

Pay attention that there is a MC2 version in the drawer.

Stef

On 28 févr. 07, at 02:48, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Philippe,
>
> As a matter of fact, we are getting real close to taking a serious
> look at porting SqueakSource to Gemstone.
>
> We are interested in taking an existing Seaside application and
> porting it to Gemstone, to get a better feel for how hard/easy it
> will be and since we are planning on having a SqueakSource site for
> Gemstone-specific code, SqueakSource would be a natural choice. On
> top of that I am intrigued by the idea of providing a Gemstone-
> based repository for Monticello, so again SqueakSource would be the
> natural application for leveraging a Gemstone-based monticello
> repository.
>
> It is more likely that we will base our port on the existing set of
> packages for SqueakSource, but the lessons we learn from that port
> can be applied to anything done for 2.7.
>
> Dale
>
> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
>> 2007/2/27, Dale Henrichs <dale.henrichs at gemstone.com>:
>>
>>> Not to complicate the discussion too much, but...
>>>
>>> As many of you already know, we are porting Seaside to Gemstone.
>>> As part
>>> of that effort we have decided to port Monticello to Gemstone as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> We want to make it easy for folks to move their applications from a
>>> Squeak image to a Gemstone image and Monticello seems to be a
>>> natural fit.
>>>
>>> Of course, this adds an extra dimension to the naming issue:
>>> because of
>>> platform differences, there will be some monticello packages that
>>> are
>>> Gemstone specific (today _all_ monticello packages are Squeak
>>> specific).
>>>
>>> The fundamental question is should the platform be encoded in the
>>> name
>>> (i.e., Package_gemstone.branch-author.99) or not (implied by the