[Seaside] Serving pictures from the image

Jens Pall jens at axonspace.com
Thu Jan 25 17:37:19 UTC 2007

Michel Bany wrote:

> On 24 Jan 2007, at 19:53 , Jens Pall wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> How would I go about serving a picture from within the image (not
>> using static content) and making it a link?
>>
>> And then (not Seaside related), how can I read the picture into the
>> image in the first place?
>>
>> Probably some basic stuff, but I'm new at this :)
>
> Hi Jens,
>
> Please have a look to the SeasideFAQ package in squeaksource/Seaside
> There are some info on how to serve files.
> HTH
>
> Michel.

This is a really helpful tiny FAQ - I wish I had known about it earlier.
Thanks Michel.

Shouldn't this FAQ be advertised on the seaside web page (along with
instructions on how to view it)? It clears out many of the problems
beginners run into when starting Seaside and try to follow the tutorials
found online. Nearly all the tutorials use the old WAHtmlRenderer which
is not used by default in a new Seaside installation - this FAQ explains
the difference and reasons behind the switch.

Regarding the files, I am looking for a way to serve binary data from
directly within the image itself, not using files on the external
filesystem. I'm planning on using Magma as the persistent repository for
everything and don't want to rely on stuff out on the filesystem, hence
I need a way to load and serve my images completely from within squeak.

Cheers,
JP