[Seaside] Help getting started

Rick Flower rickf at ca-flower.com
Thu Mar 1 17:03:55 UTC 2007

Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> After a couple years away from Smalltalk, I thought I'd put
> Squeak/Seaside on a server I have as an excuse to play around with ST
> again.  But I found myself at a bit of a loss as to how to get the
> thing up and running so I can play with it.

[ ... ]

> Translating these concepts as best I can to Squeak, my impulse is to
> create an image loaded with Seaside, etc., along with
> RemoteFrameBuffer, on my local machine.  I'd then start the image up
> running in headless mode on the server, and much like with Lisp,
> detach the screen and connect to the running image with a VNC client.
>
> Is this reasonable/normal?  How do you all setup your environments?
> My ST experience has so far been limited to doing things locally on
> one machine.

Well.. I can't speak for Squeak since I don't use it, but I use
VisualWorks running on Linux.. In that setup, I use VNC to have a
Gnome Session going -- in that is a VisualWorks image that has the
standard X11 windows for doing still just as if you were sitting in
front of the machine.. I can connect to it while I'm at work if it's
lunch time or similar and want to fiddle around a bit.. Works great over
a nice SSH session..  My current VW development image has been running
continuously in my VNC environment for the past several weeks w/o being
shutdown or whatever.. I just make sure I publish to my local Store
repository once in a while and of course save my image too..  YMMV!