[Seaside] Call For Design for the Seaside web site

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 19:13:29 UTC 2007

> Stephane had notice this error for Smalltalk.

I would suggest to trim any text to the shortest possible length
anyway. In the given example I was thinking of "Sophisticated web
applications in Smalltalk"

> I am not arrested on my proposal and my main motivation is to help to create
> a design for the seaside website.
>  If this proposal doesn't fits the needs for this site i would be please to
> make a new proposal, even if it is difficult to create something that is
> convenient for everybody.

Again, I thank you very much of proposing this design. The complaints
of people not proposing a design (or part of a design) count less ;-)

> To do something new, i need to know if the logo must stay the same as it is
> today, can 'evolve' a little bit or can be a new one ?

What is the logo today? Currently there are different images on
seaside.st, I don't know which one is the logo. Of course that's a
personal taste, but to me the current logo looks flat, pale and
old-ish. I even stopped to use it in my presentations.

I prefer to have strong colors, bold text, simple shapes and
minimalist design. I like the outline of the seastar, but not the
shading and the color.

> Could we keep this idea ?
>  An excellent use of this is www.haveamint.com

I think so, we need some space for the editor and the commands, if we use Pier.

> One site i really like for colors and composition is www.simplebits.com

Yeah, I like both designs.

> Lukas: what do you want to convey with the look and the
> function of the site? Do you want playful? fun? professional?
> classy? irony?  poke fun at? mysterious? beautiful? stark/
> austere? bold? pastel? etc...

Professional, simple, web 2.0, ...

Samuel, did you do the design for www.simplebits.com? I think
something like that could work very well. Different logo (just the
shape of the seastar), different color scheme, maybe something
different for the tabs (I don't find them really cool on this site),
simple, plain, ...

> I really like the idea of using the star as a rotating
> menu selector. Unless someone has the time, it might be too
> much to do. But, it would be cool.

I don't quite understand how this is supposed to work. Could anybody
build a quick mockup of this?

Cheers,
Lukas

> Thanks,
>
> Samuel

> > > logos are
> > > somewhere

> > > bit tricky
> > > see how it

> > > Heheheheh. It looks like "Seaside" brightens your whites and
> > > keeps your colors from running, even in warm water!
> >
> > Glad I'm not the only one thinking that.  Also, how come no one has
> > mentioned that it's Smalltalk, not SmallTalk, I hate that.  Not a big fan
> of
> > the dark orange and blue, very harsh on my eyes.  I'd prefer the look of
> the
> > current seaside site over this.  Regardless, thanks for the effort Samuel,
> > have no design skills myself, so I'll shut up now.
> >
> > Ramon Leon
> > http://onsmalltalk.com

> --
> Samuel