[Seaside] Re: Serving static images from Squeak 3.9

Alan Capewell alan.capewell at softwareag.co.uk
Fri Mar 16 09:16:49 UTC 2007

Brad Fuller <brad <at> sonaural.com> writes:

> Alan Capewell wrote:
> > Alan Capewell <alan.capewell <at> softwareag.co.uk> writes:
> >
> >> I think I'm getting a little further with this...
> >>
> >> I have been tracing the call through the KomHttpServer and discovered that
 in
> >> my
> >> 3.8 image the HttpResponse stream is of Class StandardFileStream  in my 3.9
> >> image it is a MultiByteFileStream.  Difference being that the latter is
 then
> >> getting passed through a UTF-8 conversion facility and I'm guessing my
image
> >> is not UTF-8 encoded.
> >>
> >> Now all I need to do is work out why 3.9 is treating it as a
> >> MultiByteFileStream.  If anyone has any clues please let me know -
otherwise
> >> I'll just kepp searching
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Alan
> >>

> > OK I have got round this for now.
> >
> > I have downloaded Ramon's 3.9 image (see www.onsmalltalk.com) and I can get
> > files to serve like I do from my old 3.8 image.
>
> Can you tell us the method used to serve static images?

At the moment I'm just letting Kom serve the files, it makes my image a little
more portable and self contained.  For production purposes I think serving
static images from apache will be more appropriate.

I have used David Shaffer's guide to starting the web server (see
http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/GettingSoftware/index.html) and
then I simply put my files into the "FileRoot" (or whatever you choose to call
it) directory.

I then just call http://localhost:9090/foo.jpg