[Seaside] [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Nevin Pratt nevin at bountifulbaby.com
Tue May 1 16:52:51 UTC 2007

Boris Popov wrote:

> GemStone 2.x free edition: 2gb ram limit, 4gb database size, 64
> million objects, 2 gems max, no VW or VA connectivity - Squeak only,
> seaside and monticello built in, fastcgi support, database can be used
> as monticello repository, free sandbox website for those wanting to
> play with it hosted by GemStone, that's about it, but I'm sure
> GemStone will provide more details as well.
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Boris

GemStone 2.x?  That was released in, what, 1987? or 1986?

I think GemStone 4.x was out in the early 90's.

Are you sure you got that product rev number right?  Those stats seem
reminiscent of 4.x (but naturally without VW or VA GemBuilder).

Why would they do a new Squeak GemBuilder for such an old product? (even
if it's a stripped down GemBuilder, which I'm sure it is).

Also, a few years ago I had to resurrect a GemStone 4.x system for a
consulting gig.  It wouldn't even run under Win XP without a lot of
hoops being jumped through.  One such hoop, if I recall, was the
inability to work with the filesystem.

And, I don't think Linux was even a gleam in anybody's eye for GemStone 2.x.

Maybe I'll await further details, as I'm sure I'm missing something here.

Nevin