[Seaside] Re: Which persistence solution to use?

Udo Schneider Udo.Schneider at homeaddress.de
Mon May 14 15:24:51 UTC 2007

James Foster wrote:
> This is certainly a good use-case for multiple VMs. In any case, if you
> distribute the work-load over multiple VMs I assume you will have a web
> server in front distributing the requests among the Smalltalk VMs.
Having a network background I do not really believe in an instance on
the server distributing load on the very same machine (to different
ports of course). Instead my way to go would be to use the existing
firewall to to load distribution to different ports (and if needed
machines) "on the packet level".
Another option I thought about was to offload the static content to S3.
Unfortunately there is not much of that static stuff :-(

> With GemStone/S each VM connected to the same "image" (or database) can see
> all changes committed by other VMs. So, yes, you could divide things into a
> backend and frontend. The "no-cost" edition does have a limit of two (2) VMs
> connected to the database, so this approach is somewhat limited (without
> moving up to the next level, which is an annual subscription of US$7000).
USD7000 sound like a lot of money. However if this really takes off it
really might be an option. Being a bit new to GS - How can I integrate
third party C code (e.g. DLLs) into an GS app?

CU,

Udo