[Seaside] Resolved: Downloaded squeak-web-118 Image - methods don't show immediately

Stephen sdw2 at shineonline.co.nz
Sun May 20 20:35:49 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

I downloaded the squeak-web-118 image on the seaside site and wondered
why the system browser doesn't show all methods on the right when
clicking on a class. Damien kindly answered my question along with
another one about an error message loading the sources file when Squeak
starts.

I expect others might have the same question so am posting back to the
list the questions and answers.

Cheers
Stephen

2007/5/19, Stephen
> When clicking on  a class in the "System Browser" the list of methods on
> the right hand side is not immediately displayed. Rather only the list
> of method categories is displayed and then one has to click on the
> "--all --" category to see all the methods for the class. (I'm a
> Smalltalk newbie so I'm not sure what the correct word is for the list
> of method categories immediately to the right of the class list.)
>
> How does one update the image so that it displays all class methods when
> clicking on a class - the behaviour I would like to have is the
> behaviour that any other Squeak image I have used provides.

In fact, this is not a problem of the image, this is a problem of the
new browser, namely OmniBrowser-Standard. It doesn't automatically
select the --all-- category currently. Everybody is waiting for that,
but the main developer is a bit slow.

You have 2 possibility:

- you can stop using OmniBrowser. On the top-left corner of all
browsers, you have a menu. This menu will let you choose your
preferred browser. Select the refactoring browser for example. Now,
you have to open your browsers going to 'world
menu'->'open...'->'refactoring browser'.

- my preferred solution is to continue using OmniBrowser as it is and
wait for this improvement.

> Also, when starting the image, there is a dialogue box saying "Squeak
> cannot locate the sources file named
> system:Applications:Squeak3.8-MacOS-Full:SqueakV39.sources. How does one
> remove this message.

This is because the image you downloaded is based on Squeak 3.9 and
the sources files has changed. Download SqueakV39.sources
(http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/) and put it with your
Virtual Machine or with your image. I preferred to put it with the VM
because I can forget about it after.

Hope I answered your questions.

--
Damien Cassou