[Seaside] gemstone / appliance / ISP options

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Sun Nov 4 12:16:53 UTC 2007

Giorgio,

There are actually two, unrelated issues, here. First, "itsme123"
thought that GLASS would be available only through VMware. I saw that
and jumped in with the answer that he/she did not need VMware. As you
point out, however, the other (probally more important) question is what
hosting options are available (without regard to how it is actually
installed).

My perception is that "shared" hosting is available for more traditional
usage patterns (Apache, Perl, PHP, MYSQL), but less available for
non-traditional and 64-bigt applications (including Seaside). Further,
my perception is that "shared" vs. "dedicated" is simply a shorthand for
whether you have root access and how much of the machine can you use (my
guess is that even a "dedicated" machine is rarely a separate box but is
almost certainly a virtual machine inside a much larger box). Thus, the
most ultimate question is "What will it cost?" not "What name does the
hosting company apply to service?"

Note that there is nothing to prevent someone in the community from
leasing a dedicated machine, and subleasing portions of it to others. I
assume that this is what is happening at http://www.seasidehosting.st/
(which provides free hosting for non-commercial Squeak Seaside
applications).

James