[Seaside] Long submit problems with IE

Carl Gundel carlg at libertybasic.com
Tue Nov 13 05:01:42 UTC 2007

I decided to try and reproduce this problem using the built in test
examples that come with Seaside so that it would not depend on any code
in my application.  I tested both the latest versions of Seaside 2.6 and
2.8 for WebToolkit using both IE6 and IE7 with the same results.

I started from scratch and loaded the latest Seaside 2.6
(Seaside2.6b1-mb.140.mcz) into a VW 7.4.1 image.  I went to the
allcanvastests and took the Input tab.  Then I pasted some long text
into the textarea labeled 'Text area with example'.  I figure to make
sure we all use the same text I would use the contents of
http://users.ipa.net/~dwighth/smalltalk/byte_aug81/design_principles_behind_smalltalk.html

When I click on Submit Query it would come up with the "Internet
Explorer cannot display the webpage" error message.  Sometimes I needed
to submit 2 or 3 times, but as soon as it started to happen it would
happen every time.

Then I decided to try this with the latest version of Squeak 2.8 in a
clean image.  I went to tests, then alltests and clicked on the Input
tab.  Then I pasted the text into the textarea labeled 'Text area' and
clicked on the Submit Query button.  I get the very same error as I do
with Seaside v2.6.

I tested this also with Firefox, and it works fine in that browser.

-Carl Gundel
http://www.runbasic.com