[Seaside] Truly Opaque URLs

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Fri Nov 30 17:33:46 UTC 2007

Sebastian Sastre wrote:
> Sounds interesting because allways there is some comment about our 'strange'
> urls.
>
> But I'm seeing:
>  Error: "/seaside/about/examples/multicounter/OpaqueIDHere" not found.

Hello,

To me as long as there are &_k=, &_s=, &_n=  type elements in the URL,
people will always make an attempt to understand the URL and determine
what they can and cannot do with such URLs.

But with my idea, there is nothing understandable except that it is an
ID to the stuff after the app entry point.

Real URL
http://www.seaside.st/about/examples/multicounter?25&_k=sAuAnwVD&_n&_s=pWPgxuITuEvuGsyu

Example URLs, do not work
http://www.seaside.st/about/examples/multicounter/OpaqueIDHere
http://www.seaside.st/about/examples/multicounter/URL_BASE64_UUUID_Here
http://www.seaside.st/about/examples/multicounter/sAuAnwVDpWPgxuITuEvuGsyu

My apologies about the above. They are merely examples to be able to
contrast to the actual URL I had on the demo site.

Could such a URL management also enable possibly a shorter URL? How long
(how many characters) does something like a BASE64 ID have to be to be
unique enough to identify the code running at that point in that image?

To me the more opaque and the shorter the opaque portion of the URL the
better. I think this can help reduce arguments against the ugly URLs in
Seaside. It won't eliminate the arguments, but if we can have RESTful
style URLs up to the opaque ID, then we can have much of the best of both.

Thoughts.

Thanks.

Jimmie