[Seaside] SU Lightbox and GLORP

Richard K Eng richard.eng at rogers.com
Mon Sep 24 19:56:25 UTC 2007

Yeah, it's a strange subject title and I have a long story to go with it...

I'm using GLORP to implement a catalog of items. In the "admin" page of my
app, I want to add, delete, or modify items in the catalog.

So the Seaside webpage shows a table of catalog items. When I add an item to
the catalog database, I want it reflected in the web table. When I delete an
item from the catalog database, I also want it reflected in the web table.
In other words, I want the web table to be always in sync with the catalog
database.

The tricky part comes in the delete operation because I want to throw up a
SU Lightbox that asks "Are you SURE?" This lightbox has two buttons: Yes and
No.

It's tricky because the SU Lightbox is non-blocking, ie, it doesn't wait for
the #answer. I've spent all day working around this issue and I think I've
solved it. BUT IT IS NOT PRETTY.

And Smalltalk solutions should usually be pretty.

So I guess I have two questions:

1) Is there a more elegant way to make the webpage table always in sync with
the GLORP database (esp. after add and delete operations)?

2) Is there a way to make the SU Lightbox *blocking*? If there were, I could
do the delete and webpage table update the same clean way I've done it for
the #add operation.

Thanks,
Richard