[Seaside] Seaside Scaling - How successful?

Rich richsokets at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 18:33:17 UTC 2008

I've been looking for a framework that will grow with my company's
projected online growth rate and Seaside looks very interesting.  We
developed a Java based web site for a beta product, but I'm not happy
with the results or the amount of code/time required to make things
work with Java.  I'm looking for something that will have a faster
implementation and also scale well as we grow.  I stumbled across
Seaside on Blog post and thought I'd take a look.  Seaside looks like
it has some very nice features and I've been spending the last couple
of days doing some of the tutorials and watching several of the "Why
Seaside" talks.  Thanks to your community for posting those.

I do have some reservations about Seaside and I'm hoping that the
members of this list can point me in the right direction for the
answers or have some of their own success stories.  Here are my
concerns at this point in time:

Scalability - How does one scale Seaside?  I've seen GemStone/S to
help with persistence and using Apache for static content.  These seem
very logical, but I'm still wondering what it takes in hardware to
support 1K, 10K and 100K unique visitors per month to a Seaside based
site.  I know this will be code dependent, but I'm interested in
seeing 1) if its even possible to hit in excess of 100K visitors per
month and 2) what it would take from a hardware perspective to hit
this number of visitors.

Memory Requirements - I read in the archives, and I'm betting this is
an older pre 2.8 rev memory number, it takes 2M per client for
Seaside.  Is this still the case?

Hosting - What is the best way to host Seaside if you want to use
someone else's hardware?  Has anyone implemented an AMI on AWS for
hosting?

Success Stories - Any success stories where a site is servicing in
excess of 5K visitors per day using Seaside?  If so, what did it take
to get here and would you do it again?  How are you handling
persistence?  What is your limit based on current hardware/software?

Learn Seaside  - What is the best way to learn Seaside for a non-
Smalltalk developer?

Any information you could provide that would help me make this
decision would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Rich