[Seaside] Mootools with Seaside (Hernan? Boris? Michael Lucas-Smith? Others?)

Michael Lucas-Smith mlucas-smith at cincom.com
Wed Feb 13 07:24:41 UTC 2008

I second that sentiment. Mootools is not something you use like
Scriptaculous. Mootools is there to help you build Javascript easier.
It's not inherently as wrappable as Scriptaculous.

In my implementation I ended up wrapping up Request, Request.HTML and
the Fx hierarchy. But more importantly, I provided a dynamic compiler
system to allow developers to make subclasses of MooBrush (subclass of
WATagBrush) which combined Smalltalk, Javascript and CSS together to
build up "widgets".

The Javascript is installed in to a Mootools Class, giving a very tight
analog between the Smalltalk server side code and the Javascript client
side code.

The point I'd like to make here is that Mootools helps me day to day
building client side javascript. Scriptaculous is far more pre-packaged
than that. If you were to do a comparison, it's Mootools and Prototype.
There's no Scriptaculous equivalent built on Mootools - nor is it likely
there ever will be, that's simply not what they're trying to do.

I have no problem if people are interested in porting my
Seaside-Mootools implementation from VW to Squeak. I think it would be
fairly straight-forward. Seaside-Javascript is basically the javascript
side of Seaside-Scriptaculous and I was under the impression this was
being separated for Seaside 2.9 anyway. DynamicCompiler may be the only
tricky bit - it switches between Javascript, CSS and Smalltalk
scanning/parsing dynamically. I have tests for it though.

Although, if people want Seaside to really get the most out of a close
marriage between javascript and smalltalk, there are other significant
design changes that could be implemented to help aid that.
a) One thing my colleagues and I discovered when we built our comet
driven web framework a few years ago was that you tend to want only one
tree to represent your UI state on the server, not two - instead of
having WAComponent and WABrush separated, we combined the two so that
each widget was an element which was also represented on the client side
as a DOM node.
b) Each element we generated from the server we may want to change and
often did dynamically, so we would give each element a generate id
instead of piecemeal choosing to do it
c) We made the entire UI on the server side a DOM tree and each "widget"
was a subclass of Element. It would modify itself (or other nodes it
knew about) and the act of doing so would create a ChangeSet to the DOM
tree which is sent as the response to a request from the web browser.
The web browser would execute the ChangeSet to modify its own DOM tree
to stay in sync with the server.
d) We used comets so that a server side process could initiate sending a
ChangeSet back to the client even when the client hadn't initiated an
action. In the end, this was used less than we thought we'd need it, but
it was still cool - i'd say it's a nice add-on to a framework.
e) Because all interations were done with (Mootools) Request calls the
URL of the page would never update, thus avoiding the Back button
problem that continuations solves. Instead, we used a javascript trick
that allows you to change the URL on the page and add it to the pages
history dynamically - that meant that at certain points in server code
execution, the server could say to the client "now you are on a page
that has a solid URL that I can return to". This facilitated building
all entry points and REST based APIs
f) Because there was only ever one page on the server to represent a
single user, there was rarely any memory concerns. There was also no
passes to process actions and callbacks, those were registered in to a
weak dictionary so that if an element was destroyed, so was the callback.

I'm sure there were more lessons learned but I've probably forgotten
them right now :) ... there's nothing in Seaside that inherently stops
anyone doing something like the above, but we wrote our own framework
because Seaside didn't work in VisualAge :) ... and also we discovered
that we needed a great deal less code by the time we were finished.
Seaside has evolved a lot since back then and it is a lot faster and a
lot more factored, so I'm not sure the assumptions we made back then
hold true any more.

Anyway.. that's a bit of a ramble about how we used Mootools previously
and how I'm using Mootools now.

Cheers,
Michael