[Seaside] Re: Serving static files from an external web server

itsme213 itsme213 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 16:48:10 UTC 2008

"cdrick" <cdrick65 at gmail.com> wrote

> And changing FileLibrary (maybe subclassing to have
> WAExternalFileLibrary) so that files are held in a remote server. You
> think there is an interest (I think it's different from Colin's
> approach?) ?

If I understand correctly, I believe the main difference is:

1) Colin's customized FTP interface:
  - file is stored inside image
  - external client sees, edits, saves it as an FTP file
  - internally file is served via FTP, "saved" by compiling into string
  - needs a bit of work to interface to WAFileLibrary (currently OBWeb)

2) Seaside 2.9:
  - file is stored on file-system
  - WAFileDirectory knows to read and serve from filesystem

Main advantage of 2)
  - file is directly available to any desktop client
  - nothing to change to serve file externally statically e.g. via Apache

Main advantage of 1)
  - file is Monticello versioned with other code (would this be a difficulty
with 2?)

Anywhere close to true?

- Sophie