[Seaside] Session expiry

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 10:58:18 UTC 2008

> Thanks, Lukas, I did see similar questions in the archives, but the
> answer only ever seems to be a workaround, not a complete solution (at
> least for me). I'll see if I can work out something for myself just to
> satisfy my own curiosity - hopefully without breaking the framework
> ;-)

No, that's a propre solution.

> However, your comment answers my other question as to why the session
> expiry time was always equal to the session duration: I hadn't
> realised that the 'every: 1 second' bit effectively causes a request
> to the server every second (hence resetting the expiry time every
> second), I'd assumed it was simply JavaScript running on the client
> (obviously wrong in hindsight).

I wouldn't set it to trigger every second. This causes an unnecessary
high load on the server. A value that is just a bit shorter than the
expiry time is fine.

> Which begs the question: is there some other way to show the remaining
> session time without triggering a request? Otherwise my idea about
> showing the remaining time is doomed :-(

Sure, using JavaScript. You take one of the many countdown scripts
from the web, add and initialize it with the session expiry time
whenever you render a page.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli