[Seaside] stunnel secure access to seaside on Windows Server 2003 (IIS 6)

Rainer Keller driverwriter at mac.com
Sat Jan 5 20:20:06 UTC 2008

Hello all,

This is my first post to this list and I am not an expert on either
squeak, seaside or server administration, but I did some research
before posting, so please bear with me :)

I did a setup of the "one-click" version of squeak seaside on my home
SBS server. I found a nice post about the headless setup as a service
and got to the point that I can access my seaside from my client
computers behind the Windows Server firewall (my intranet).

Now I would like to allow (mostly myself) to access the seaside site
from outside the firewall as well similar to my main website and other
services. Just allowing port 8080 to go through the firewall seemed a
bit risky as all information to and from seaside is unencrypted
(right??), although i did setup a separate user for seaside with
minimal rights and the service is running seaside under that account.

My original idea was to use stunnel, similar to how I allow smtps to
my server:
Basically I setup stunnel to accept secure connections on some port
and forward it to 8080 which seaside is listening to. That works for
the initial pages nicely, but when I am following links like
"examples" seaside (or some part of the package) replaces the https:
in the URL again with an http.

I found that under Configure I can set https and a port, but I am
confused as the default port there is 80 and not the 8080 that the
server is actually responding to. And by default nothing is configured
there but the links work nicely from the intranet.

I also found an old post that was talking about using apache as a true
proxy server, but that seems a bit overkill, as the seaside server
quite nicely remembers a port that I specify in my original URL and
remembers the hostname as well, so I am hoping that I am just missing
something and can easily make it remember the "https:" from my first
request URL as well.

So here are my questions:
- Is there a "configuration how to" that I missed when browsing the
site?
- Or is there a way to actually search the previous posts about
seaside (I can read the archives, but I haven't figured out how to
search with gmane or pipermail.
- Or can somebody tell me the little trick that I need to achive what
I want (I hope my post is not too convoluted, I am not a native eglish
speaker and may be put too much information in this).
- Or can somebody give me a hint where to look for the URL generation
in the code. I haven't searched yet as I am still trying to grasp
basics of Pier and some more of Squeak itself.

Best Regards
Rainer Keller
- in search for the ultimate software platform to replace my index
cards with...