[Seaside] Ideas worth stealing

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Fri May 30 07:13:41 UTC 2008

With the idea that no good idea should go un-stolen, allow me to
introduce seaside fans to active scaffold http://activescaffold.com.

I am wrapping up a ruby on rails engagement with a client and
discovered this framework.  I ended up using ROR because the client
had an existing mysql database and Squeak's mysql support isn't so hot
where rails is all about mysql, and I had only a couple "flows" but a
whole lot of plain old admin-CRUD to do and rails excels at plain crud
on mysql.  With activescaffold - I had to write very little code for
the admin UI - a major plus because this project is on a very tight
timeline.

Anyhow, activescaffold works with activerecord and infers a really
slick AJAX UI that supports sensible CRUD more or less instantly.
Once installed, you can go through and customize views by adding
actions links, filtering columns, and generally overriding bits of
logic to make it more task focused.

It would be really cool to have a similar facility in Seaside.

Cheers,
-Todd Blanchard