[Seaside] #script: part of the tags

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 14:41:38 UTC 2008

>  That means that silently Seaside decided to put the script part of the tag in
>  the onLoad section which is IMHO a very poor choice this days.

This is not a silent decision of Seaside, this method had been there
since the very beginning of the Scriptaculous package:

    Name: Scriptaculous-avi.4
    Author: avi
    Time: 22 September 2005, 1:59:03 pm
    UUID: b4f48653-2bab-11da-9fc6-000a95db7844
    Ancestors: Scriptaculous-avi.3

    Support #script: so that elements can have effects applied to them
immediately.

>  If the idea is to mantain that silent manipulation of the script tag, I
>  recommend a review to use 'dom:loaded' instead of that because it will be fired
>  just after the html is loaded and before the images are loaded and, depending on
>  the page, that could make a lot of diference to the user experience.

I think you mistake WATagBrush>>#script: for WAHtmlCanvas>>#script:.
The two are something entirely different and both make perfect sense
to me. Check out "Adding JavaScript" from the slides 13, 14 and 15 of
my Seaside tutorial for a detailled explanation:
<http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/seaside/tutorial/web20.pdf>.

Cheers,
Lukas

--