[Seaside] A new critical blog discussing Seaside

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 21:04:02 UTC 2009

2009/4/17 stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at free.fr>:
> Hi maskedCumcumber
>
>        (in france this is a comix hero: a cumcumber with a mask).
>
> 1- My name is stephane ducasse and I think that you should not piss on
> people anonymously
> it gives a funny impression of yourself and lower your point. RIght now you
> are passing for an idiot
> while you have certainly something to say. So be a man :).
> You can express yourself politely or not on this mailing- of course we
> prefer polite and civilized people.
>
> 2- I agree with you that having more comments on seaside would be good and I
> will tell you
> the truth: the first class comments on seaside were written by lukas in my
> car when I was
> driving to nice in an italian highway. Of course more comments would be
> useful.
> But did you pay to complain so rudely?
> and where is your "documentation"?
>
> 3-After I know well lukas and he is the guy that did slime for checking
> style in Seaside application.
> Did you read the mailing-list over the last years because lukas replied
> everyday to people questions
> while he is doing a PhD on a completely different topic. So I have problem
> to  see lukas rude.
> May be you were so aggressive that he told you to leave him alone.
>
> 4-Why don't you ask publicly why a string was used?
> When I learned Smalltalk 12 years ago I read a book telling that strings are
> cheap to create
> slow to compare, while symbols where the inverse so if the web server
> returns a string
> it may be more efficient to compare a string than to convert it into a
> symbol and compare it.

That kinda plays into it. The bigger problem is that Symbol is not a
subtype of String. Semantics differ across dialects in slight but
interesting ways. That's why it's part of our coding conventions [1]
not to mix Strings and Symbols.

However this is really framework internal code. Unless you're a core
developer you shouldn't mess with these things and there is not much
value in understanding them because they are implementation details
that are subject to change. And honestly if this is our worst code
then we can consider Seaside done.

And finally we do of course accept contributions be it code or
documentation. Roger Whitney contributed some really awesome class
comments.

 [1] http://www.seaside.st/community/conventions

Cheers
Philippe