[Seaside] Re: A new critical blog discussing Seaside - now concrete proposals

Francois Stephany tulipe.moutarde at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 09:09:38 UTC 2009

Woaw Peter relax a bit,

Are you fighting against the devil himself? I'm not involved in Seaside
development in any way but don't you think that a more positive approach
will give better results?
As an exercise on good behaviour on mailing lists i'll try to
reformulate your point.

"
Hi everybody,

I've been working with Seaside on VW and it seems to me that some
Smalltalk coding conventions have been forgotten. It makes the code hard
to read (at least for me). Here are some examples:

- factory methods should generally start with "new".
WATree class root: anObject
would be more clear if named:
WATree class newWithRoot: anObject

- In VW, it seems that namespaces bindings are quite slow.

- WARequest behaviour seems to be spread in the system. It makes
debbuging harder than necessary.

- Usage of string instead of symbols. Example:
WARenderContinuation -> shouldRedirect: aRequest
^ aRequest isGet not or: [(aRequest fields includesKey: '_n') not]

The string '_n' is used in many places in the code. Why not a symbol? Is
there any technical reason?

- ...

That were some points that annoyed me in Seaside, if you want i can
provide a detailed list, fill some tickets and provide some patches...

Cheers,
Peter Jedermann

"

Easy enough isn't it? Certainly not ideal but people would certainly
listen and discuss about the issues you address.

Have fun,

Francois