[Seaside] A new critical blog discussing Seaside

Michael Niessner michael at niessner.us
Sat Apr 18 20:28:33 UTC 2009

Mr. Cucumber,

You present yourself as someone who values logic and ideas over
everything else. As such, I would like you to consider the following.

A person has a finite amount of time to think about stuff. On average
it's about 75-80 years. Since no single person knows everything, they
will have to filter which ideas they choose to think about.

There are a number of different algorithms that could be used for this
idea filter. Random selection, fifo, lifo, etc. Attempting to reduce
waste (time spent thinking about worthless ideas), most people have
settled on what I'll call a credibility filter.

A credibility filter works by setting a credibility threshold,
assigning people a credibility value, and then filtering out any ideas
that come from a source that does not meet the credibility threshold.
For example, if someone tells me that computers should receive a bath
every week. I will assign them a low credibility value, stop listening
to them, and begin thinking about something else.

Often times people will assign complete strangers a credibility value
below their credibility threshold. They will only listen to ideas if
the stranger has a university degree or some other indicator that
person values.

Other people are more generous and will assign complete strangers a
credibility value above their threshold. This is great. These people
will think about your idea, until you display that you are no longer
credible.

In general you lose credibility by making statements the other person
thinks are false. After enough of these false statements you will
eventually fall below that person's threshold and they will ignore
anything else you have to say.

I've been following the seaside mailing list for a few months. I read
every post from the past year. I watch people ask questions or post
ideas and see prompt responses from people like Lukas Renggli,
Stephane Ducasse, Randal Schwartz, Phillipe Marschall, and countless
others. In fact, I ask a rather uninformed question and get a response
from Philippe within a day. Phillipe 's act was very selfless. He
received no compensation from using his time to answer my question.
Naturally, I view these people as kind and generous.

Now I see your post. I start you off above my credibility threshold.
You seem think seaside has some implementation issues. Don't know
enough about seaside's implementation to disagree with you. Still
listening. You think Lukas Renggli doesn't listen to people and
immediately dismisses them. Hmm. That's strange I've observed
completely the opposite. You lose credibility points. You think Avi
Bryant is not open minded. Hmm. That's strange. I've seen Avi speak at
multiple ruby conferences and he was very open minded and receptive to
ideas that were presented from the audience. Now you've dropped below
my threshold. I'm no longer listening. You don't appear to know what
you are talking about so thinking about what you have to say is likely
a waste of my time.

If you really want your technical ideas to be considered by people. I
strongly suggest that you just post your technical ideas on the
mailing list and your blog. Because your ideas related to the open
mindness of Avi and Lukas are flat wrong and damage your credibility
in the same manner that claiming smalltalk would be a better language
if it didn't have blocks or that computers need a bath every week.

To summarize:
   1) People don't have unlimited amount of time
   2) It is logical and pragmatic to filter idea sources by credibility
   3) Your claims about Lukas and Avi make you look like a fucking idiot

Michael Niessner