[Seaside] Four proposals to improve Seaside

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 19:21:27 UTC 2009

2009/4/20  <TheSmalltalkBlog at gmx.ch>:
> There are 4 new concrete technical proposals how to improve Seaside and one
> more comment on my blog:
>
> http://thesmalltalkblog.blogspot.com
>
> Comments and critics welcome!

Proposal 9:
WARequest is what gives us our portability across web servers which is
key to our portability across dialects. We run on Comanche, Swazoo 1,
Swazoo 2, OpenTalk, FastCGI, AJP, Cherokee, Squeak, Pharo, GemStone,
VisualWorks, ObjectStudio, VisualAge, Dolphin and more. To do all this
we need to have one common abstraction with clearly defined semantics.
We additionally need to be in control of this abstraction so we can
add and change behavior when need it without being tied to the release
cycle of a dialect or server. This abstraction is WARequest (and
WAResponse).

Proposal 7:
WAFileLibrary is not and never was recommended for production use. We
recommend Apache to serve static files. See the archives for several
discussion on this topic.

Proposal 2:
Only applies to VW port. See blog post of JayRo. For VW related topics
please use the VW mailing lists.

If you have suggestions for improvements the place to post them in the
issue tracker [1] and not on this list. Discussion of the relevant
issue can happen there. Seaside development is discussed on the
Seaside developer mailing list [2]. Having patches in Monticello
helps.

 [1] http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/list
 [2] mailto:seaside-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org

Cheers