NAT'd IP's Re: [Seaside] Seaside session stealing

Nevin Pratt nevin at bountifulbaby.com
Wed Apr 22 00:49:30 UTC 2009

Sorry to follow up to my own post, but obviously a simple IP check
doesn't work for multiple users behind the same router, whose IP got
NAT'd to all be the same IP.

So, I'm still thinking a combination of a "remember me" cookie, and an
IP check, is still needed.  But I accidentally reversed their order in
my post below.  Here it is again, in proper order:

1. Check for a "remember me" cookie.  If a proper "remember me" cookie
exists, then the session is NOT stolen.

2. If we don't get a proper "remember me" cookie back from the user,
then check to see if cookies are enabled in the user's browser.  If they
are not even enabled, then default to an IP check-- if the IP is the
same, consider that the session is NOT stolen.

3. If the above two checks fail, then assume the session is stolen.

The hole in the above, though, is users whose IP is being NAT'd, *and*
have cookies turned off, could hijack sessions between each other.  But,
for non-banking, non-financial data, this is probably secure enough, and
lets the website reach the widest audience, whether they have cookies
enabled or not.

At least, that's my thought.

Nevin