NAT'd IP's Re: [Seaside] Seaside session stealing

Nevin Pratt nevin at bountifulbaby.com
Wed Apr 22 01:12:30 UTC 2009

> Please don't make the mistake of presuming "ip == user".
>
> You've already identified the case (behind a NAT) where many users share the
> same IP, but consider also the "walled garden" of AOL users, where the same
> user can come in from different IPs during a single session.
>
> You must allow for that.

Are you sure we still have to allow for that?  AOL made changes in late
2006:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:AOL

But, it really doesn't matter if AOL "walled gardens" are still a
problem or not, because the NAT problem is still there.  So, doing a
simple IP check is still a problem anyway.

Nevin