[Seaside] gemstone tutorial..

Pat Maddox pat.maddox at gmail.com
Fri May 15 22:08:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 2:44 PM, James Foster <Smalltalk at jgfoster.net> wrote:
> Nice to hear that someone is trying out my tutorial!

It's by far the best tutorial I've come across.  Got me pretty
comfortable with Seaside in a day, I feel like it gave me enough
understanding of the core concepts that I've been able to write some
decent Seaside code.  So, thanks :)

Two gripes about it. First one is minor, it would be nice if you had
it in a single PDF so we don't have to download 16 separate chapters.
I actually did download all 16 and combined them into one PDF to make
it easier for me.

I had hoped to learn more about Gemstone and how to use it within
Seaside, since I've never used Gemstone (or anything like it) before.
That may have been out of the scope of what you were doing with the
tutorial though.  I'm wading through the Gemstone programming guide
now so hopefully I'll figure it out soon.

As a Seaside tutorial, it kicks ass.  As a Seaside on Gemstone
tutorial, it's very good as well - I got the Los Boquitas app running
on Gemstone, although I was not able to use the version of Gemtools
you did.  I think you used 2.4 and the only version I could find was
2.3.1.  As a Seaside *with* Gemstone tutorial I found it lacking.

Just a little constructive (I hope!) feedback.  Again, thank you for
the excellent tutorial.

Pat