[Seaside] rails niceties equivalents?

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Mon May 18 13:32:45 UTC 2009

On May 17, 2009, at 10:37 PM, Eagle Offshore wrote:

> ....  The other missing one is "how do I scale a Seaside application"?

One answer is to use GemStone: thousands of VMs sharing terabytes of
data.

> People claim to have worked it out for themselves, but nobody is
> writing it up as a ready to use recipe.

I'm sorry you haven't gotten the message; we've certainly been trying
to write it up. See the tutorial at http://seaside.gemstone.com/
tutorial. Also, we've got a couple blogs (http://programminggems.wordpress.com/
  and http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/), a web site (http://seaside.gemstone.com
), and present at conferences and users groups. What more could we do
to get your attention?

> There's no point in writing an app that can't easily scale to a few
> hundred users.

Unless, of course, your app is one that is aimed at a small users
base. If someone offered me US$100K to write a Seaside app that would
be used by only 10 users, I wouldn't tell them that there's no point.
I'd scope the project and estimate whether it could be done for that
price.

James Foster