[Seaside] Problems with my dishwasher.. I mean.. Comet

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 21:46:13 UTC 2010

> The first is, how do the pushers work? I tried throwing references to one
> around to just one, but I think it actually needs to be rendered to the page
> (load script) as per the example.

Pushers send Javascript code to all connected clients.

> And the last one for now ;) is how can I restrict relevent data to the
> sessions that "care" about it?
> If a client pushes some javascript, but only
> a few other clients need that javascript, I would prefer to only give that
> script to those clients, or am I thinking on the wrong lines here?

Currently there is no support for filtering or sending messages to
particular sessions only, although that would be technically easily
possible. We need to improve the Comet package to be able to do that.

For now your application could provide multiple pushers and sessions
register to the one they are interested in.

> Should I do something more along the lines of the CTCounter example where,
> when something in the data structure changes, then the clients can choose to
> do something about it?

Personally I suggest (although the demo examples don't do this) that
you use Comet only to notify about changes, not to transport large
amounts of data. Like this the clients can decide themselves what they
want to do and request the actual update from the server if they need
it.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli