[Seaside] Re: [ANN] A/B Testing

Paul DeBruicker pdebruic at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 19:58:59 UTC 2010

Hi Julian,

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 04:01:31 -0700 (PDT)
seaside-request at lists.squeakfoundation.org wrote:

> Well, I guess it should work, but why do you need a new Renderer? Why
> not just:
>
>        user:=ABUser new.
>        html html: (ABTest showVariation: 'sample'
>                           a: [ html image
> url:'http://www.seaside.st/styles/logo-plain.png' ]
>                           b: [ html image
> url:'http://www.seaside.st/styles/esug.gif' ]
>                           user: user).

When I make your change the image in the page is replaced with
this:

[closure] in PDMainComponent>>renderContentOn:

Where PDMainComponent is just the class name for my class where I try
stuff out.  I use the new Renderer to get a string of html that can be
injected into the DOM.  I think I'd rather not make a new renderer, but
I don't know how to show the variation without it.  At the same time
and based on my current level or 'expertise', having the string of html
means I can reproduce what was shown in other venues more easily should
the need arise.  I just don't understand how the seaside internals work
well enough to know how to do it another way.

Thanks for your guidance.

Paul