[Seaside] home page intro results in a big "huh?"

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Tue Aug 3 05:26:07 UTC 2010

Just for the heck of it, I went back to square zero and started up
Seaside 3.0rc.

The default page gives a list of things to try and step one seems to fail:

Getting started
Test the water with the steps below:

Create your first component

Name: MyFirstComponent <Create>

clicking on the create button displays a page with the following. which
is almost certainly intimidating to a new user (at keast it would be to
me and I can't find anything associated with the startup page that
explains what I'm seeing):

Seaside Walkback

MessageNotUnderstood: WAComponent class>>subclass:instanceVariableNames:

Debug Proceed Full Stack

Possible Causes
you sent a message this type of object doesn't understand
Stack Trace
thisContext
WAComponent class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
#subclass:instanceVariableNames:
self
WAComponent
aMessage
subclass: #MyFirstComp instanceVariableNames: ''
exception
MessageNotUnderstood: WAComponent class>>subclass:instanceVariableNames:
resumeValue
nil
thisContext
WAWelcomeComponentCreator>>createComponent:
self
a WAWelcomeComponentCreator
componentName
#MyFirstComp
userComponent
nil
thisContext
[] in WAWelcomeComponentCreator>>go
self
a WAWelcomeComponentCreator
componentName
#MyFirstComp
component
nil
thisContext
BlockClosure>>repeat
self
[closure] in WAWelcomeComponentCreator>>go
thisContext