[Seaside] Re: really simple JQuery slider/widget example without the support of the test classes?

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Wed Aug 4 07:03:42 UTC 2010

On 8/3/10 11:29 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
> On 8/3/2010 11:14 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> You can copy and paste that example, there are no other dependencies
>> but the inst-var 'current' that you should initialize with a number.
>
> I think he might be looking for this:
>
> http://book.seaside.st/book/getting-started/pharo-squeak/first-component/registering
>

> I ran into the same issue; it is decided non-obvious that the creation
> of a component on the welcome page "magically" works but that there's
> no trace in the resulting code that reveals what one must do to to
> perform the equivalent action in code somewhere (i.e., if you create
> the very same class by hand "it doesn't work").
>
> I do understand why this stuff works the way it works but I think
> clarity could be dramatically improved by having something that makes
> the necessary registration explicit. Could be as simple as having the
> registration in the class initialization of components created on the
> welcome page - I certainly would've found that.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

I'm afraid I did that. :-(

WAAdmin register: WebCounter asApplicationAt: 'webcounter'.
WAAdmin register: ExampleJQSlider asApplicationAt: 'exampleslider'.

WebCounter initialize.
ExampleJQSlider initialize.

the webcounter app works.
the exampleslider app has the error:

WAToolDecoration(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #setOwner:

fileout:

'From Squeak4.1 of 17 April 2010 [latest update: #9957] on 3 August 2010
at 11:48:53 pm'!
JQSlider subclass: #ExampleJQSlider
     instanceVariableNames: 'count current'
     classVariableNames: ''
     poolDictionaries: ''
     category: 'JQuery-Examples'!

!ExampleJQSlider methodsFor: 'initialization' stamp: 'LDE 8/3/2010 21:50'!
initialize
    super initialize.
    current := 50! !

!ExampleJQSlider methodsFor: 'rendering' stamp: 'LDE 8/3/2010 23:30'!
renderContentOn: html
     html div script: (html jQuery new slider
       value: current;
      onChange: (html jQuery ajax
          callback: [ :value | current := value asNumber ]
        value: (html jQuery this slider getValue)))
! !

ExampleJQSlider class
     instanceVariableNames: ''!

!ExampleJQSlider class methodsFor: 'class initialization' stamp: 'LDE
8/3/2010 23:31'!
initialize
     WAAdmin register: self asApplicationAt: 'exampleslider'! !