[Seaside] SeasideTesting and WebTester w/ Selenium

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Wed Aug 25 11:13:20 UTC 2010

 On 08/24/10 14:15, Joel Turnbull wrote:

> I'm a little confused about the state of the SeasideTesting package.
>
> I started with this tutorial http://bit.ly/aEwrSb. Installing the
> latest package in Pharo, it was obvious that I either had the wrong
> package, or things had changed quite a bit since that was written.
> But, using a combination of that tutorial, and the example classes,
> I've been able to successfully use it, and like it, until I got into
> my components that utilize jQuery. I see in the tutorial that there
> are some methods like assertEventually: that were provided to handle
> jQuery calls. However quickly browsing through the classes in my
> SeasideTesting package, I seem to be missing jQuery examples, or
> methods that compare to assertEventually:
>
> So last night I took a look at Selenium RC and WebTester, and was
> pretty impressed ( http://bit.ly/cr2vjK ). Seems like it can
> definitely handle my jQuery problem.
>
> However before I consider switching, I wanted to get the opinions and
> recommendations of those on the list regarding these two options, as
> I've already done quite a bit of work in SeasideTesting, and I'm
> pretty sure that I'm just missing how to use it with jQuery. Also, do
> you foresee any problems with either of these testing frameworks if I
> need to scale up to Gemstone

I highly recommend Selenium.  I don't know WebTester but if it is based
on Selenium it has some advantages over SeasideTesting's external
browser support (more than one maintainer being one of them).  I've been
using Selenium for functional testing for years and love it.  The only
reason that I added external browser support to SeasideTesting was to
test components (unit tests) with javascript interactions.  I found
using Selenium problematic in this case but WebTester may have solved that.

That being said, I'm not going to be switching to WebTester any time
soon :-)  Now that I have it basically working, I really love using
SeasideTesting from unit tests up through functional tests (although
there are still some cases where I use Selenium for functional tests).
It gives mean a core lingua franca for all levels of testing.  I've
built pretty substantial functional testing frameworks on top of it.

As Johan mentioned, it looks like external browser support isn't ready
in the Squeak/Pharo port.  I can't imagine this would take much work to
remedy.

David