[Seaside] Does anyone offer Seaside hosting yet?

Davorin Rusevljan davorin.rusevljan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:59:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Jan van de Sandt <jvdsandt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Creating an AMI image takes quit some time. I is not very efficient to
> create a new AMI every time there is an update to the Seaside image. It is
> better to run a startup script when the AMI is started. This startup script
> can copy an up-to-date Smalltalk image from some well known location.

Good point, though I am not sure script should be started each time
ami is started, since image might be used for persistency. But maybe
script could be used once to "finalize" ami with latest version before
user starts to customize it. With EBS based ami, that would be no
problem, since it would not be necessary to create a new ami after the
customization.

> Great that you are already running a Pier setup on EC2 for a year. What are
> your experiences with uptime? And how do you make sure that you don.'t lose
> any data when the EC2 image goes down? I guess by saving the image regularly
> on EBS or S3

I do not have much load on it only a few visits per day, so it has
never been put under the stress, but in recent year it has been
restarted only once (by some Amazon house keeping I assume).

As for persisting data, I am keeping Pier image on ebs mounted volume.
Unfortunately when image was created there was no option to make whole
machine EBS based, since that would result in less complicated and
more flexible machine.

I have it on my long term list to migrate everything on new ebs based
instance, with ubuntu lucid lynx and latest pier and nginx, but as
everyone else, my wish list is far longer than "could realistically do
in given time" list :)

rush
http://www.cloud208.com/