[Seaside] Hello World via WinXP

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 12:10:23 UTC 2010

> I decided it was time to ask for assistance again.  Last time the assistance
> was not specific plus I had a problem with my Apache server being down.  Now
> it's fine but the book addresses Linux servers using Apache and not Windows
> servers using Apache.  Seems like an omission considering earlier treatment
> of both OS's.

The problem is that we cannot describe each possible platform. We
decided to focus on the most common server operating system and that
seems to be Linux nowadays.

> The book is also unspecific on things like:
> "The setting ProxyPreserveHost enables Seaside to figure out the server name
> automatically, but this setting is not available for older versions of
> Apache. In this case you have to change the Seaside preference ‘server name’
> for all your applications manually."
> Missing is what Apache releases work or what is the last one that fails?

The text mentions various times that you are expected to have Apache
2, I changed that paragraph to mention it again.

> And how to do the manual stuff?

I've added a reference to
http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/deployment-preparing.

> What I need is simple yet detailed instructions to get a one-click Seaside
> to do a hello world display of something like the regular 8080 screen under
> WindowsXP & Apache.  Thank you.

Sorry, I can help here. I don't have Windows.

What about running an Debian or Ubuntu server (or even Knoppix server
that you can start from a CD) within a virtual machine to give the
existing step by step instructions a try? I suspect that if you walked
through the setup on Linux, it will be easy to adapt the steps to
Windows.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli