[Seaside] RE: Equivalent of unique keys in a persistent object model ?

Sean Allen sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com
Mon Jan 18 03:53:56 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 5:39 PM,  <recursive68 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the replies and info. The unique id's are used to uniquely
> identify categories, items and events in the system. The categories, items
> and events are related so the unique id's are used as primary/foreign
> keys. The categories,items and events get added to quite frequently so
> using sequence generated id's seemed the best solution in that context.
>
> A counter protected by a semaphore/mutex sounds like the sort of thing I was
> thinking of although I was unsure how well that scales.

If you are using objects, you dont need the primary/foreign keys.
The object is its own identifier. You just use the object graph.

An event could have an ordered collection of categories it belongs to, etc.

No need for unique ids. You would only need unique ids if the outside world
needs a way to unique identify a specific instance of a class.

Like... show me the information on event 27ABC3332