[Seaside] Re: [ANN] PDF of Dynamic Web Development with Seaside

Tony Giaccone tgiaccone at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 21:52:32 UTC 2010

Well I purchased a copy.  And now I've reached a point where I'm very
frustrated..
Great progress, but now reached  a limit and I feel like I'm not
understanding the basic ways the framework should be used.

Here's my dilemma.  Imagine a page with an editor and a browser.  The
browser lists the entries of a particular type. The editor allows you
to create a new entry or edit one which exists already.

The page as a whole is initialized like this:

initialize
	super initialize.
	person := Person new initialize.
	editor := (person asComponent addValidatedForm).
	browser := PersonBrowser new initialize.

The renderContentOn method looks like this:

	html text: 'Hello'; break.
	html div class: 'personInfo'; with: [
		editor isNil ifFalse: [html render: editor].
		browser isNil ifFalse: [html render: browser].
	]

What I can't figure out how to do is to connect into the method that
gets called when the user presses save on the editor.  At that point I
want to persist the person, and do some other things.  I see this
lovely line from the book:

This is clearly the place to hook a database commit for example.

Yes, it clearly is.. what's not clear is how the heck you do it. LOL

Tony

PS I have this feeling, coming from a Java background that I'm totally
am not doing things in the tao of smalltalk.  It's extremely
frustrating.