[Seaside] [Issue 553] #isolate: broken - any updates?

radoslav hodnicak rh at 4096.sk
Mon Jul 19 21:33:56 UTC 2010

*raises hands*

i find this situation a bit shameful really - seaside was (and still is?)
promoted as web framework with components and advanced control flow.
everyone and his mother's web framework has components these days, but the
flow control seaside offers is quite unique, it's what makes it so
productive. the isolate functionality is one of those advanced control flow
things. yet it's like an unwanted child - when 2.8 was released, isolate was
also broken and after i pointed it out, "an ugly hack" (lukas' or phillipe's
words) was put in place. with 3.0 it seems like even an ugly hack wouldn't
do, because of the internals redesign.

look, if it takes making the internals more messy again to get seaside do
what it's good at, i don't care. i don't go around pouncing "look at how
neat and factored the framework i'm using is". i go around pouncing "look at
how my application correctly handles situations when people go back where
they aren't supposed to go". without isolate, you wouldn't even get the
ancient sushi store from 2003 to work correctly. is that progress?

rado