[Seaside] Hosting Seaside

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Fri Oct 1 20:49:36 UTC 2010

Hi Sean,

On 01 Oct 2010, at 22:37, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> I'm on a shared host, and want to convert my PHP site to Seaside.  When I
> start the VM, the server kills the process, and my provider emailed me that
> Seaside was starting an "exclusive process" that was using too many system
> resources.
>
> So I have two questions:
> 1. Is anyone successfully running a commercial Seaside app on a shared host
> (i.e. upload their own image)?
> 2. If I have to go to a VPS, the OS options are CentOS4/5, Debian, Fedora,
> Gentoo, Slackware, and Ubuntu.  Are any of these particularly good for
> Seaside?  If not, which would you recommend in general?

I suppose you are familiar with http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment ?

In my experience, you can run Seaside with pretty limited resources, but I never worked with a 'shared host' and I don't know what the technical restrictions are vs a regular host. You could also have a look at Amazon's EC2 ( http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/ ), even a micro instance (their cheapest plan) should be enough.

Sven