[Seaside] http://localhost:8000 and http://localhost:8888 meets javascript security model

Tim Murray tmurray at ecsorl.com
Tue Sep 21 18:16:11 UTC 2010

Hi all.

We are building a "prototype' SCORM compliant application where we will
be

serving up content from a Seaside Application and running third party

web applications in an 'I-Frame' inside a seaside component.

Currently, we are serving up our components on localhost:8888 and the
third party

software on localhost:8000.

It all works swimmingly until we tried to set up a javascript
communication link

between the two.

What happened is we bumped up to javascripts security restriction.

https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Same_origin_policy_for_JavaScript

that prevents javascript from one domain:localhost:8000 interacting with
a document

from another domain: localhost:8888 event though they come from same
physical box.

So, we are brainstorming how to serve both our Seaside components and
3'rd party software from

the same domain: localhost:8888.

We are tossing around the idea of a custom WARequestHandler and perhaps
registering all third-party sofwware

to use that handler, but we are not that good with the guts of Seaside,
yet.

Your thoughts?

thanks in advance.