[Seaside] Comparison by example

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Thu Jun 23 09:20:59 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

I'm opening a new thread with idea by Johan and Hannes to write an
example app on all three web frameworks. Here is a copy of that thread
and first Hannes proposal:

Johan: For comparing, it would be really good to have the same
application written in the three frameworks by experts and have the
experts compare them. Hey, if I find the time (oeps) I would even love
to help out on that one.

Janko: Agreed! And I'm hardly waiting for someone to come out with an
idea, what to build for such comparison. I have one, but you will for
sure declare me biased again .. :) A so called real-time web example: a
multi-user chat. As that one on GMail, for instance. Another would be a
basic CRUD example, which is so common pattern, filling that 90% of
cases, to show, how the frameworks cover the people's most basic needs.

Hannes proposal:
---------------
Maybe a sample application which is combination of both your suggestions
:-).

A kind of more elaborate ToDo list (cf. the Seaside example in the tutorial)

Features:

- Multi-user
- The users see a list of ToDo items and sees to whom they are assigned.
- In a chat area they can discuss about the items and reassign them
  accordingly.
- Some views/reports (current tasks, my tasks, finished tasks, task in
  a particular month).

If you want more

- A wiki in addition
- A glossary (special terms in the reports are automatically
  hyper-linked to a glossary entry)

Best regards
Hannes

P.S. I am sure that other people have better ideas.
I have no idea how much time this takes to implement in Aida/Web. In
Seaside it is quite an effort.

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web