[Seaside] seaside and rest

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 11:15:04 UTC 2011

Hi Oliver,
I also had a hard time to use it... what I did is to study bibliocello and squeaksource3 packages (both at seaside.gemstone.com/ss)
One interesting thing I found, is that you normally will want do something like this:

	<GET>

	"HERE I WANT TO SHOW MY COMPONENT"
	index := MyIndex new.
	self requestContext respond: [:response |
		response
			contentType: WAMimeType textHtml;
			nextPutAll: (	WARenderCanvas builder
				fullDocument: true;
				rootBlock: [ :root | index updateRoot:root ];
				render: [ :canvas | index renderContentOn: canvas ])].

This is the "common answer pattern"  I found.
Of course, this is just an example, and IRL you'll want to place the response login in a separate method, probable extending WAComponent with a method #respondRendered of something (both bibliocello and squeaksource3 uses this approach).

I hope this helps :)

cheers,
Esteban